Newcastle United defeated Leeds United in the third round of the Football League Cup on Wednesday. We asked CHN readers to rate each Newcastle player's performance on an individual basis. Here are the results:
|Player||# of responses||Mean||Median||Std Dev|
- If the numbers seem especially low, especially after a convincing 2-0 win, it's because of the low vote total coupled with 2 entries that had nothing but 1s. The low vote total is most likely due to this being a mid-week cup match.
- That said, Yoan Gouffran and Sammy Ameobi were virtually tied for Man of the Match honors. We like to name just one player, though, and Ameobi's spread was different enough to give him the slightest of nods.
- On the other side, all 3 substitutes received poor scores. Dan Gosling is the official Goat of the Match, which is sort of unfair, in my opinion, but the people have spoken.
- Also receiving an unfair total in my estimation was Gabriel Obertan. His inability to finish twice on breakaways in the waning moments was a sore point for many supporters, but Paddy Kenny was well-positioned on both and did well to deny him. I also feel that he should receive partial credit for creating these opportunities in the first place.
- Mike Williamson was a bit shaky, and Newcastle were lucky none of his miscues punished the team, but he may be suffering just a tiny bit from his reputation here.
- Paul Dummett was the highest-rated defensive player, reflecting his outstanding play on both sides of the pitch. He is building a fantastic case for regular consideration in Alan Pardew's lineup.
Men of the Matches
Manchester City (0-4): Tim Krul
West Ham United (0-0): Fabricio Coloccini
Morecambe (2-0): Sammy Ameobi
Fulham (1-0): Hatem Ben Arfa
Aston Villa (2-1): Hatem Ben Arfa
Hull City (2-3): Loic Remy
Leeds United (2-0): Sammy Ameobi
Goats of the Matches
Manchester City (0-4): Steven Taylor
West Ham United (0-0): Papiss Cisse
Morecambe (2-0): Haris Vuckic
Fulham (1-0): Shola Ameobi
Aston Villa (2-1): Tim Krul
Hull City (2-3): Papiss Cisse
Leeds United (2-0): Dan Gosling