Newcastle United were defeated 0-0 by West Ham at St. James' Park on Saturday. We asked our readers to submit their player ratings. Here are the results.
|Player||# of responses
|Hatem Ben Arfa||52||3||8||6.33||6||1.12|
- Tim Krul had the highest mean for the second straight week, but Fabricio Coloccini was right behind him, and the spread of votes was much narrower, reflecting greater consensus. I'm making a judgment call and naming them co-Men of the Match, based on the community's vote.
- Vurnon Anita was not close behind, but the standard deviation was higher. He received an unusually high number of 7&8 votes, and the majority of the rest came on the lower tail:
Mathieu Debuchy's graph was the ugliest (again). The standard deviation for his voting actually went down, likely because there were more responses this time around. Also, last week there was a large contingent of voters giving him very low ratings, where this time the vote appeared to be split between merely average (6) and above average (8). So, while the Toon Army continues to be split on his quality, it appears that most agree he at least improved from last week to this week.
- Respondents were even more split on the strikers. Papiss Cisse, who received the lowest mean and median scores, also received a pass from some poll takers, with one even giving him a rating of 8.
- Sammy Ameobi (6.10 mean) was seen as a slight upgrade over Sylvain Marveaux (5.96), whom he replaced, which may or may not be a reflection of a change in tactic that happened around that time.
- Yoan Gouffran replaced Cisse and was viewed as a significant upgrade (5.90 mean vs. 4.31 mean).
- Tim Krul was the only player to receive a 10 vote. Cisse, Gouffran, and Shola Ameobi all received ones.
- Next time I'm going to cut off the voting a day early. I think we got 4 votes on Monday, and by the time Tuesday rolls around, people have moved on from a Saturday match. Eventually, we'll find a sweet spot for this feature. If you didn't vote, keep an eye out after the next match. If you did, vote again and tell your friends!