clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Newcastle United 0-1 Bournemouth - Last minute misery for the Magpies

Newcastle United have lost for the second consecutive week, as Bournemouth take all three points from Tyneside. 

Newcastle United v AFC Bournemouth - Premier League
Steve Cook won the game for Bournemouth at the death.
Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

The first-half was utterly dominated by the home side, as they raced out of the blocks.

Matt Ritchie had the first real attempt at goal, when he tried to bend his shot into the far corner, but Admit Begovic made the save.

Dwight Gayle, recalled to the XI this afternoon, started an attacking move that involved Ritchie and Joselu, but the former Crystal Palace man headed wide in the end.

Christian Atsu thought he had opened the scoring after he brought down a cross-field pass on his chest and curled a left-footed shot towards the top corner, but Begovic did very well to tip the ball over the bar.

Newcastle United v AFC Bournemouth - Premier League
Christian Atsu almost scored his second goal of the season.
Photo by Jan Kruger/Getty Images

Again the Magpies come searching for the first goal, and they should have had it. Ritchie's shot struck the post, but after Gayle prodded home the rebound, he was ruled offside by the linesman. Replays showed that he was in fact level with the last defender.

Joselu, without a goal since October 1st, then had a chance to work the keeper, but failed to hit the target.

Bournemouth did creep into the game slightly towards the end of the half, and two of them fell to Joshua King. His tame shot trickled well wide of the post, before he broke through the back four and had a powerful drive saved by Rob Elliot.

In between those chances, Callum Wilson also forced Elliot into action, when he had to tip his looping header over the bar.

The second half began in the same way as the first, with Newcastle on the front foot. Jonjo Shelvey picked out an unmarked Joselu, but he headed into the ground and the keeper saved.

Callum Wilson was making his first start of the season at St James', and he would have been ready to celebrate his first goal, after running clean through, 1-on-1 with the keeper, but he somehow placed his shot wide.

Bournemouth seemed to be beginning to grab a foothold in the game, and Rob Elliot had to be alert again to save Marc Pugh's headed effort.

Newcastle were still dangerous going forward though. DeAndre Yedlin went down in the box, but the referee waved penalty appeals away. The USA right-back will feel he had a case there.

The game seemed to be fizzling out towards the end, but Simon Francis was lucky to get away with some slack defending. Florian Lejeune launched a long pass, which Francis headed up into the air, but thankfully for him, Gayle could not get his shot away.

Harry Arter was introduced by Eddie Howe towards the end of the game, but much like every other player, he lacked any real composure when he fired a shot miles over the bar.

Newcastle United v AFC Bournemouth - Premier League
Harry Arter battled away in the middle of the park.
Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

In the dying minutes, Elliot again come up trumps to keep his side in the game. Pugh was already celebrating, but was shocked to see his shot deflected onto the post by the legs of the Irish goalkeeper. A fantastic save.

Newcastle were made to pay for their lacklustre second half, as Steve Cook rose highest to head home the winner from a corner. It had been coming.

An awful result for the Magpies for the second consecutive week. After such a good start to the season, things may be about to get ugly.