If you put our current squad against other Premier League teams, I think there is a glaring weakness. It’s not in Defense, or Keeper, but an Attacking Midfielder. Every day I see reports of who we are linked too, and the only thing I can think is, why not break our transfer record for a 10?
Back to 2011 we had Yohan Cabaye. He was a brilliant play-maker for us. Flashy, a good dribbler, and was a constant threat to score. Obviously, he was sold, and a few years after we signed Georginio Wijnaldum for a near record fee. At St. James’ Park, his play was remarkable and even seemed to outplay the top form of Cabaye, albeit he was absolutely invisible on the road.
My point is, we need flash, we need a threat, a bully. Someone who defenders are afraid of once he has the ball. Someone who can score 10-15 goals a season from the middle. Therefore, to solve this need, below are five attacking midfielders I want Newcastle to go all-in for. Put a comment below, comment on this list and feel free to make any suggestions.
- Daniel Wass – Most won’t know his name, but he is one to look at. Rafa likes LaLiga and if he is scouting every team, then he had to of come across Daniel. The reason why I like him is how much he’s traveled. He’s played for clubs in his native Denmark, spent time at Benfica, on loan and eventually a permanent move to Evian, and finally last year to Celta de Vigo. Last year he had a modest 3 goals and 4 assists but he has played in Ligue 1, La Liga, Europa League, and for his national team, Denmark. His presence in the lineup could really benefit the squad. I see him going for around £10M
- Ryad Boudebouz - I know, I know, not another player from France. But if you don’t know much about Ryad you should look him up. In his Ligue 1 career, the Algerian National has scored 45 goals and 53 assists. Last year, for Montpellier, he scored 11 goals and 9 assists. Ryad has also made 25 appearances for the Algerian national team. He has top level experience and I would expect him to go for around £12M - £15M, which would be a steal in my opinion
- Manuel Lanzini – This guy is young, and really good. The Argentina international just received his first Senior International cap and has massive potential. Currently, he plays for West Ham where last season he found the net 8 times with 2 assists. I expect both numbers to grow. Lanzini is definitely a popular figure as a number of clubs have been monitoring his performance. I would expect him to go for around £20M if not more.
- Hakim Ziyech – I know I am throwing a lot of random names here but I’m trying to bargain hunt! Take a look at this guy. 9 goals and 13 assists last year for Ajax and only 24 years old. He has also made 9 International caps with Morocco with 5 goals. It seems whatever competition he plays in, he scores goals. I really like the look of him. For every 120 minutes Hakim contributes to either a goal or an assist. He’s another player that I see growing to an even bigger play maker under Rafa’s coaching. I would expect him to go for around £20M
- Nacer Chadli – This is my DUDE! Seeing him in the much prettier Black and White stripes over the ugly West Brom one’s would be massive for us. He had 5 goals and 5 assists for West Brom last season and has 20 goals and 15 assists in his Premier League career. Also 34 appearances for the Belgium National Team. He primarily plays as a Left Midfielder but while playing at the 10, he has 34 appearances with 10 goals and 9 assists. I think he would be a great buy for Newcastle and a player who could bring the best out of the squad. I expect him to go for £20M at least even though I expect West Brom to ask for a higher price.
Which of these five players would you rather have for Newcastle?
This poll is closed