After putting together an extraordinarily extraordinary unbeaten run, Newcastle is visiting St Mary’s Stadium down south today for a post-lunch kickoff. Don’t fall asleep for that siesta, though!
That’s because the Magpies are facing the last of their easy foes before things ramp up midweek against Crystal Palace and next weekend against Chelsea ahead of the World Cup break. I know, I know, the Eagles are not the Blues but the stakes will be huge with that midweek affair part of the EFL Cup, surely one the club would like to lift when all is said and done next spring.
Newcastle have won three games in a row after their goalless draw against Manchester United back on Oct. 16. The next three games after that saw the Magpies bag goals in increasing numbers: one against Everton, two against the Spurs, and four against an Unai-less Villa last Saturday.
New month, new wishes by the Toon. Mainly, keeping up the great run of results for at least another match day before going against Chelsea in the last game before flying to Saudi Arabia for the mid-season pre-season—whether that makes or not much sense typed out like that.
Newcastle aiming at finishing the calendar year inside the top 4? Why not! With the lats sitting right there already there is nothing crazy about that. Like the Old Cholo says: let’s go partido a partido, game by game—but please, earning three more points every time we’re out there.
FotMob.com predictions at the upcoming Starting XIs from the Magpies and the Saints are in, so let’s go through what could be coming from Newcastle’s Eddie Howe.
- Not Available: Isak (thigh), Darlow (ankle), Krafth (knee), Ritchie (calf), Dummett (calf)
- Doubtful: Wilson (illness), Schar (hamstring)
- England international Nick Pope manning the posts. Shocker.
- Easy-to-pick defense on paper considering Fabian Schar has an injured hammy that could leave him out today. I say “could” because this is Eddie Howe and Eddie Howe has 11 soldiers that he always goes with, so who knows if he will change a thing or not...
- With Schar available but not totally fit, I’d pick Kieran Trippier on the right and Matt Targett on the left making it back to the starting XI.
- Of course, Schar’s gap gets filled by natural center-back Dan Burn along with youngster Sven Botman. Feels good to have proper backups ready to step up and ready to play.
- Joelinton is sitting this one after seeing a yellow card against Aston Villa last weekend. Another hole, another gap easy to fill considering what Howe has been doing recently.
- It’s going to be Bruno, Joe Willock, and Sean Longstaff, isn’t it?
- Jonjo Shelvey could be in contention to break into the XI and Southampton definitely is one to take advantage of. Of course, Howe won’t fix what isn’t broken tho.
- Callum Wilson is seemingly in the same situation as Schar although it’s not the same to have gone through an illness as having an injured hammy. That’s why I think Wilson is going to be out there today.
- Allan Saint-Maximin has gotten some little tiny testing minutes recently but has not started a game yet. Today is the day to get in proper shape running for 90 minutes and getting those legs ready for a couple of very serious games ahead against Palace and Chelsea next week. Give me ASM all day on the left.
- If you’re giving me ASM all day... then you’re giving me Miguel Almiron all week, all month, all year, and beyond.
CHN Predicted Lineup
DEF Trippier - Botman - Burn - Targett
MID Longstaff - Bruno - Willock
WNG Almirón - Saint-Maximin
HOWAY NEWCASTLE! ✊#SOUNEW pic.twitter.com/RuFNGOEYVR— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) November 6, 2022
Your Saints— Southampton FC (@SouthamptonFC) November 6, 2022
Here’s the side to take on #NUFC at St Mary's: pic.twitter.com/OlLGFPfbka
- Date: Sunday, November 6th
- Kick-off: 14:00 BST / 9:00 EST / 7:00 PST
- Location: St Mary’s Stadium, Southampton (England)
- Broadcasts: Sky Ultra HD, SKY GO Extra, Sky Sports Premier League, Sky Sports Main Event (UK), Peacock (USA), fuboTV (Canada)
For all your international watching needs, check LiveSoccerTV.com.
Please do not share or discuss links to illegal streams here.
Howay the Lads!