The clock is ticking on the summer transfer window for Newcastle United, who have yet to permanently bring anyone in, but there are reports out now that the Toon have renewed their interest in Lyon striker Bafetimbi Gomis and are now considering bringing back Demba Ba on loan.
Newcastle nearly had a deal for Gomis finished a few weeks ago, but agent fees and a pay-on fee dispute forced the deal to fall through. Lyon are in a situation however where they have to sell Gomis or risk losing him on a free transfer, as he's in the final year of his deal.
Sky Sports however is reporting that the Magpies are in talks with former Toon striker Demba Ba to return on loan from Chelsea. Ba left Newcastle last January when Chelsea ponied up the £7 million release clause in Ba's contract, leaving the Toon scrambling for another striker they've still yet to find.
Ba and Cisse didn't necessarily mesh well when they played together previously, but that was only for a short time. Newcastle desperately need an upgrade at the striker position to pair with Cisse, but at this point almost anything helps.
More from Coming Home Newcastle:
- Newcastle United v. Morecambe: League Cup Match Preview
- Predictor's League: League Cup vs Morecambe
- Newcastle United 0, West Ham United 0 - Community Player Ratings
- PODCAST: Coming Home Podcastle Episode 14 Is Here: West Ham, Joe Kinnear, Morecambe and Fulham
- Newcastle United targeting James McCarthy, according to report